- Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) 1998, National University of Singapore (NUS), Masters of Medicine in Ophthalmology NUS, Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- Specialist training in Ophthalmology, cataract surgery, and sub-specialist training in Vitreo-Retinal conditions at the Singapore National Eye Centre (SNEC)
- Advanced Vitreo-Retinal training in world-renowned USA institutions for adult and paediatric vitreous and retina conditions, under the Singapore Ministry of Health Manpower Development Programme Award, at:
- Associated Retina Consultants of the Beaumont Hospital in Michigan (under Dr Mike Trese, Dr Antonio Capone Jr, Kimberly Drenser, George Williams, Tarek Hassan)
- The Vitreous-Retina-Macula Consultants of New York (under Dr Richard Spaide, Dr Lawrence Yannuzzi)
- Member of the following professional society/ association:
- The American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- The American Society of Retinal Specialists
- The Association of Paediatric Retina Surgeons, USA (first Singaporean member)
- The Continuing Medical Education Committee of Gleneagles Hospital
Reviewer for the following International Peer Review Papers:
American Journal of Ophthalmology
- Annals Academy of Medicine
- Archives of Ophthalmology
- Indian Journal of Ophthalmology
- Alumni of the Chinese High School (nka Hwa Chong Institution) and Raffles Junior College
- Fluent in English, Chinese, Teochew and Hokkien
(Find out why Dr Loh decided to become a medical doctor)
- Now a Medical Director at his eye clinic, My Eye Specialist & Retina Surgeon.
- Prior to this, Dr Loh was a Consultant Eye Specialist at group practice Ophthalmic Consultants at Gleneagles Specialist Centre and Eye Surgeons@Novena at Mt Elizabeth Novena Specialist Centre.
- Remained as Visiting Consultant at SNEC, Changi General Hospital and KK Womens’ and Children’s’ Hospital until recently.
- Before private practice, Dr Loh was:
- Consultant Ophthalmologist at the Singapore National Eye Centre (SNEC), Departments of Vitreo-Retinal Service, General Cataract and Comprehensive Service;
- Consultant-in-charge of the Retina sub-speciality at Changi General Hospital;
- Adjunct Research Fellow at the Singapore Eye Research Institute.
- Dr Loh’s achievements in the public health sector:
- Instrumental in developing advances in imaging and surgery of adult retina cases at Changi General Hospital;
- Spearheaded development of paediatric retina surgery at Singapore National Eye Centre (SNEC) and KK Women and Childrens’ Hospital (KKH);
- In SNEC, Changi Hospital and KKH, Dr Loh treated and managed complex retina cases from the region including Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam, Cambodia, Bangladesh;
- Provided consultation service for complex adult and paediatric retina cases from Franco-Viet Hospital, Hanoi, Vietnam;
- Member of Steering Committee of Integration of Eye Care Services from SNEC and Diabetics Care from Diabetes Centre, SGH, which worked to improve eye care of older patients with diabetes-related eye diseases such as cataracts, glaucoma, diabetic retinopathy and retinal detachment.
- Dr Loh was invited as Examiner for Master of Medicine (Ophthalmology) Exit Examination, NUS
EXPERTISE & REGIONAL REFERRALS
- receives local and regional referrals from doctors in Singapore and the region for cases of:
- surgical retina diseases (including retinal detachment repair, macular hole surgery, diabetic vitrectomy);
- medical vitreoretinal diseases (including management of age-related macular degeneration, retinal vascular disorders, diabetic retinopathy using laser, photodynamic therapy and injections);
- cataract surgery including complex cataract surgeries (cataract or lens dislocation) and customised cataract surgeries using monofocal, toric and multifocal lens implant. Read about how Dr Loh helped to treat the eyes of a child from Bhutan.
- uses advanced latest surgical techniques of minimally invasive vitrectomy, scleral buckling combined with endoscopy to treat complex retina diseases, including proliferative vitreo-retinopathy (severe scarring in retina detachment) and paediatric retina detachment.
- was invited as an instructor to teach international delegates to perform combined cataract and retina surgery in international meeting – American Society of Retina Surgeons.
- presented about cutting edge retina surgery in local and international meetings. He is also frequently invited as a local expert panellist by pharmaceutical companies to present laser treatment (photodynamic therapy, laser photocoagulation) and intravitreal treatment (anti-vascular endothelial growth factor medications) of retinal diseases.
- has extensive academic research experience. He co-authored 20 papers in peer-reviewed journals on retinal diseases, including:
- Intravitreal Bevacizumab for the Treatment of Myopic Choroidal Neovascularisation in an Asian Population. Ann Acad Med Singapore.
- Pigment Epithelial Cell Loss Assessed by Fundus Autofluorescence Imaging in Neovascular Age-Related Macular Degeneration. Ophthalmology.
- Prognostic Factor Analysis of Vitrectomy for Retinal Detachment Associated with Myopic Macular Holes. Ophthalmology
- Trends and Factors Related To Outcomes for Primary Rhegmatogenous Retinal Detachment Surgery In A Large Asian Tertiary Eye Centre. Retina.
- Trends in age-related macular degeneration management in Singapore. Optom Vis Sci.
- Was invited to give interviews, talks and seminars regarding eye conditions, treatment and management to the public and eye care professionals, including by My Paper, Today, 新民日报, Medicacorp Channel 8, MediaCorp Radio FM 95.8, Grassroots Organisation, the Diabetic Society of Singapore, pharmaceutical companies and Jakarta Radio Cakrawala Mandarin Station FM98.3.